2 Jan 2012

Frugal Come Dine With Me


Well the holiday period has come to an end and it's time to get back to normal life and my daily jog. Usually it's a muddy affair because I jog in the countryside rather than the roads so that I can let the dogs loose whilst I'm jogging so that they don't yank me backwards when one of them stops for a wee.
A week ago I found a new place to jog and have been training the dogs to run alongside me on the lead, without stopping. Basically that involves throwing a stick around for a few minutes and letting them go to the loo before I start jogging. Then it's back on the leads and off we go, happy family, keeping fit and tiring them out before i go to work. Well that's the theory. What usually happens is that by the time I have got out of the shower they are ready to go again and I feel guilty.

I am seriously considering keeping my eye out for a sofa on freecycle for these two. I'm fed up of turfing them off MY sofa  and having them give me that sideways glance every time I want to relax.
Bless them, don't they look comfy?

On the way home I made my usual stop at the Coop to see what had been reduced and didn't find anything that I haven't already got or could use. There were half a dozen packs of Cornish pasties at 39p each. Four to a pack but the lady who was at the chiller as I approached scooped them all up and wandered off, giving me a glance as she went. Not that it bothered me because I already have plenty of dog food in the house. All that good food on offer and she opted for 24 Cornish pasties. However, I had an idea whilst I was looking at all the stuff on offer.




Who would like to 'Come Dine With Me'


How about we have a little competition involving the reduced section at our local shops?
Anyone?
Oh come on it will be fun.
Honestly.
It's easy. All we have to do is make a 3 course dinner party, purely from things on offer. Okay I lied....a little bit.....we have to do it for £1 That's right just 1 of our British pounds, or if you are blogging outside of UK, 1 of whatever currency you use. Oh come on, where's your sense of adventure? Look, there's plenty to go around, we just need to get creative.

Rules
  1. There is no time limit. We just tell everyone on our blog when we are ready to hold the dinner party.
  2. The meal has to feed 4 people
  3. We are not allowed to use anything that we already have in the house/garden apart from sauces, seasoning and condiments. Drinks are allowed but not mandatory
  4. Foraging from the wild larder is not allowed either, so I don't want to see any Venison or Peking Duck on the menu.
  5. We have to post pics of the food that we bought and pics of each course. If anyone wants to get really creative and do Entrees, palate cleansers etc, go for it. (If you do a lime or lemon finger bowl, you must have got the lemon on offer and included in your £1) ha ha, no cheating folks.

Okay that's enough rules, this is supposed to be fun.
If you want to take part let me know and I will add you to the list. Once I have a list, I will draw names out of the hat, make groups of 4 people and announce it on my blog. Just like the TV program you award marks out of 10 to your host for creativity and best use of their £1.
I will try and think of a prize for each group at the end of the competition but don't get too excited, it will probably just be a certificate or something that I make on a desk top publishing program :D


I want smileys by the way. Why haven't we got smileys on blogger?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine, didn't get this blog post :(

    Having said that I'm no cook!

    I'll be interesting to see what people do though for £1!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...