28 Sept 2011

Orchard

I took the dogs for a walk today up by the lake where I used to live and spotted an apple tree absolutely full of lovely ripe fruit, so started to fill my pockets as I dreamed of pies and sauces.


Five minutes later one of dogs was missing and didn't return despite my whistles and calls.
My face dropped as I looked in the direction I had last seen her and steeling myself I got on my hands and knees and crawled under the tree and into the bushes beyond. Not the most pleasant of pastimes when you are wearing just a pair of shorts and camisole top.

But I am so pleased that she wandered off, because when I found her laying there in the clearing munching away on something and I looked around, I was in a little wild orchard, right there in the middle of the trees and bushes. Crawling in there was the only access and I had to crawl back out, but OMG there were apples everywhere. Not crab apples, proper ones and it didn't look as if anyone else knew that this place existed either. judging by the amount of apples on the floor that were starting to rot. I couldn't believe my luck. Needless to say I went back home, gathered up my foraging basket and returned half an hour later.

Look at this lot


I am definitely keeping that place a secret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...