16 Nov 2011

All Quiet On The Barnsley Front

Had one of those days where you seem to get nothing done until you look back. The best part of today has been spent working on line and talking on the phone.
I sold another two items on Amazon and the total was a 300% increase on yesterdays sales. See, I told you I would be a millionaire this time next year. With that type of exponential growth I will be looking to buy a farm rather than rent an allotment, although I am becoming less hopeful that the allotment will come my way. It has been a couple of weeks now and I haven't even had so much as acknowledgement that my application was received.

Even when the day is not very interesting, there can be something that brightens it up. This is one of the most sought after mushrooms in the UK and is positive gold dust to a forager. Unfortunately I wasn't the one who found it, it was given to me by my friend next door. Not that I really care because I have it now and I am going to chop it up, freeze it and save it for one of those special occasions where you crave a dream on your taste buds.

Locally, I have everything I need on my doorstep, free food, village stores, country walks, entertainment, friends, family, everything. Apart from sea food that is. My favourite all time food is a minimum of 80 miles away. I have to find a realistic way of getting to the coast on a regular basis throughout the year and stock up on various wild food stuff. Sea Buckthorn is another one of the things that I would really like to try, along with sea weeds. I don't scuba dive any longer so an underwater forage is pretty much out of the question these days.

Lying in my garden is a Kayak. Next door in Jules garden is another one. We got them in the summer of this year so that we could explore the rivers to see what was available. I can't make my mind up whether to sell them or not. We didn't really use them much and didn't find anything worth the effort each time we went paddling and now I just see them as something else that is taking up space.

October was a great month for me. I had a lot of time to myself, I was cooking, crafting, walking, exploring, building, shopping and generally relaxing every day, but lately I can't seem to find the time to do any of the above. But when I think about it I have done quite a bit. The past few weeks have been about planning and preparation for next year. I have found another 180 square feet of growing room for my veg in various family members gardens, which should be really good because I may be able to get them to see the benefits and pleasure of growing your own. If that were to happen we could have a little family Co-op thing going on.

My plans to create a regular web based income source also seem to be going according to plan at the moment. If I can get that working in conjunction with eBay, eBid and amazon, it should provide a steady trickle of income throughout the year. Usually, I don't plan too far ahead, I like my life in disarray and love to take it as it comes. But the deeper I dig myself into the frugal lifestyle and the more I enjoy it, the deeper I want to go and that takes a bit more planning than usual.
Now here's a thing. I usually buy milk at £1.65. If I am going past the garage in the next village, I get it for £1.30. Today, the blinkers fell away from my eyes and I realised that I can buy it from Asda for £1. How have I missed that for so long

Uncle Ben versus Auntie Christine

UNCLE BEN AUNTIE CHRISTINE RESULT
Boil in the bag rice from supermarket £1.68 Boil in the pan rice from storage jar £0.05 I win on cost
Fill pan with water Put 1 cup of water in pan I win, less water used
Bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes Bring to boil and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes I win, Less energy used
Tip water down sink No water to tip down sink I win, less waste
3rd degree burn opening bag Spoon rice straight onto plate I win, no medical attention required and less time used



Medicine. It's that time of year when I check my medicine cabinet and see what herbal remedies and potions I have in stock, what needs throwing out and what natural resources I need to find, in order to get my pans a boiling and restock.


Did you get it Mum? 


2 comments:

  1. I'd love to know what herbal remedies and potions you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Christine, I left a huge comment here yesterday but I must have left the page before typing in the checking letters. The gist of it was that I was a bit slow but got there in the end! I must have been so excited that I forgot to press the correct keys!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...