9 Nov 2011

Recycling Challenge Day 8

I had a wander into town this afternoon to pick up parcels from the post office. Walking behind a frugal parking meter man I couldn't help but giggle as he shoved his fingers into the coin return on every meter that he passed. He failed on each attempt.
As I stood above the market looking down onto the street and oldish gentleman came and stood beside me and had a moan about two of the market cafes being closed down and the only one that was still open, he didn't like. To some extent I have to agree with him because the pie and peas at the centre cafe were beautiful. The mugs of tea that they served were lethal though. Just like Grandad used to make, so strong that you could stand a spoon in it. I much preferred Grandma's version which involved tipping some of tea into the saucer, adding a drop of Johnnie Walkers and slurping it down. That little trick in addition to feeding me raw sausages, used to worry my Mother sick, but I'm still here and have a cast iron stomach to boot.

One of the parcels that I collected was full of wine making equipment, so now I am ready to go as soon as I find something to make wine from. The other parcel was my Ecoegg. I have heard good things about them and have considered trying to make one myself but I had some Amazon gift vouchers left over from doing surveys, so bought one with them. I will let you know how efficient it is after a few washes.

Recycling Challenge day 8 - I found half a dozen Alice bands in the bottom drawer and have started recycling them to make fascinators.

'Find of the Month'
When I took the dogs out this afternoon, I decided to walk past the old place I used to live and look in the garden to see if anything had continued to grow. No one has moved in there yet so it was okay to do so. I found 3 beetroot and 2 onions. Not exactly a massive haul but it all counts. As I left to continue my walk Jules said that she wanted to check on the back of one of her properties because the tenant had moved out and everything left outside was destined for the dump. I couldn't resist a peek and I'm glad I went for that peek. Look what I found.

It has been sitting outside since this morning and got a little damp but nothing that a few hours indoors won't cure. The door to the top cabinet is hanging off but the hinges are not broken, just need some screws in and there are a few emulsion splashes down the right hand side. I have been looking for a dark wood corner display unit for my dining room for months and now I have one.
It pays to be nosey.
In return for the unit I have agreed to take all the rubbish left by the tenant down to the dump on my way to town tomorrow.
Bargain.











Top tip for removing paint from woodwork. Boil a drop of vinegar and apply to the paint using a cotton pad. Use your finger nail on the stubborn bits and off it comes.


Nothing spent of food today so the total for the week remains at £2.42

Evening meal tonight was Chicken Cacciatori with Rosemary roast potatoes followed by Apple pie and Greek yoghurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...